Monday 21 October 2013

Daily Mail News: How Goldie's meditation therapy could help you beat chronic pain

On 19th October 2013, Danny Penman (co-author of Mindfulness: A practical guide to peace in a frantic world (2011)) wrote an article promoting his new book, published in the Daily Mail online in the Health section, titled: How Goldie's meditation therapy could help you beat chronic pain: The first in a three part series about the healing power of your own mind.

The article included instructions for doing the 'body scan' mindfulness exercise.

Here are some key quotes:

"...the latest medical advances show that accepting and exploring sensations of pain and illness can bring more powerful relief than the most commonly prescribed painkillers.

This approach constitutes a new treatment based on the ancient practice of 'mindfulness' meditation, which clinical trials show can reduce chronic pain by 57 per cent. Accomplished meditators can reduce their pain by more than 90 per cent.
[...]
Now do the 'body scan'

The Body Scan involves focusing on all the different parts of the body ...
[...]
I used mindfulness after a paragliding accident seven years ago, when I fell 30ft on to a rocky hillside and the lower half of my leg was driven several inches through my knee and into my thigh. Through three major operations and two years of physiotherapy, I found it to be an extremely powerful painkiller and I'm convinced it also accelerated my healing.

Over the next three weeks I'll lead you through meditations from my new book. The programme was developed by my  co-author Vidyamala Burch, a mindfulness expert who runs a UK training centre and became a convert after two serious spinal injuries.

The exercises are based on solid science as well as our own experience and have helped tens of thousands of people worldwide. Try it today - above, we reveal a simple mindfulness exercise that you can do at home to ease chronic pain.

Mindfulness For Health, by Vidyamala Burch and Danny Penman..."


No comments:

Post a Comment